Monday, June 22, 2009

Day 11: June 1st - Newport, Oregon

Donald and I love the Oregon Coast. I think we have been here four times in the 12 years that we've been together. That is a lot, considering how far we have to travel to get here!

Anyway, we woke up early at Honeyman S.P. and took an amazing free shower! It was a pretty mild morning, still overcast, but in the mid 60's. Macy befriended a couple more slugs and we packed up the trailer and were out of the campground by 9:00am.

I thought there were more tourist shops in Florence! We didn't see many (if any), but we did walk on the beach. Shelby came with us and thoroughly enjoyed the run. The night before was a HIGH tide and there were lots of shells on the beach, but most of the sand dollars were already broken by the seagulls. We did find a crustacean on the beach and took him to the water and watched him dig into the sand!

We arrived at Beverly Beach (north of Newport) around 12:30 and unhooked the trailer so we could travel around town more easily. We ate at Georgie's Beachside Grill - they had an amazing view, good food and great prices. D was obviously impressed because he took their business card so we can remember to eat there next time we are in town! I had a Sourdough Chowder Bowl and salad (amazing!), D had some yummy grilled salmon topped with salsa, Joey had a huge grilled cheese sandwich tower with Yukon Gold fries and Macy had some tasty chicken tenders with Yukon Gold fries. Afterward we took Shelby down to the beach and looked for more seashells. We didn't find any, but I did rescue a ladybug from the surf! She stayed on my hand and unfurled her amazing wings to let them dry. When we got back to the car she had pretty much recovered, so I set her in some flowers.


We went back to Beverly Beach, set up our campsite and walked down to the beach. We didn't find any more shells, but we did find some perfectly dry sand for "squeaking" our feet! (check out the video at the top of the page). D found a piece of drift wood for Shelby to fetch and had her swimming in the ocean.






We roasted marshmallows (pink strawberry marshmallows for the kids) and sat around the fire until dark. Then I whipped D in another hand of pinochle!

No comments: