Monday, June 22, 2009

Day 9: Patrick's Point to Gold Beach, Oregon

We woke up late...9 am! We quickly rushed to the showers, but Macy and I had to wait for about 10 minutes while the women's bathroom was cleaned. D & I had each brought 4 quarters, thinking it would be plenty. Macy and I were able to shower with 2 quarters at Half Moon Bay! Macy and I finally got in out shower and organized ourselves (there never is quite enough shelf space or hooks for two sets of jackets, towels, & clothes!) When I started the shower it was lukewarm, but I figured it would soon turn hot. I heard Joey in the shower next door screaming in the water. Macy didn't like the temperature either, but I quickly soaped her up, rinsed her off and put conditioner in her tangled hair. Then I quickly soaped up and the water turned off! It hadn't even been two minutes! I put in 2 more quarters, but the shower wouldn't turn on again! So here we were, soapy, cold and out of quarters! I tried yelling to D to bring us more quarters, but he and Joey were just finishing their cold shower and still had to dry off and get dressed before running back to our campsite to look for more quarters! In the mean time, Macy and I gathered up our stuff and moved to the other shower. D finally came back with more quarters and Macy & I quickly finished out freezing shower! When we got back to camp, quickly brushed Macy's hair...only to find another tick! Ugh!

I made a quick breakfast and we started packing up. Check out time was 12:00 and the Camp Host came by to ask if we were staying another night! According to D's watch we still had 6 minutes! We weren't penalized for leaving "late", but it didn't make for a good start to our day!

About 40 miles from Crescent City the "service engine" light came on - of course there are no Auto Zone's on the Northern California coast and no other auto parts store would check the codes! The light finally went off on its own just north of Brookings, but until then my stomach was in knots. (we've had some SERIOUS problems with the Yukon in the past, so I'm a little "light" shy!)

We finally made it to Gold Beach and checked in at Jerry's Rogue Jets (were were upgraded from the 64-mile trip to the 104-mile trip!). We decided to stay at Jot's Resort on the north side of the Rogue River. We swam in the indoor pool (which Joey loved), took a nice long, hot shower and slept in an actual bed!

No comments: